There are four main types of writing: expository, persuasive, narrative, and descriptive.
- Expository – Writing in which author’s purpose is to inform or explain the subject to the reader.
- Persuasive – Writing that states the opinion of the writer and attempts to influence the reader.
- Narrative – Writing in which the author tells a story. The story could be fact or fiction.
- Descriptive – A type of expository writing that uses the five senses to paint a picture for the reader. This writing incorporates imagery and specific details.
Identify which type of writing is being described.
- ______________ A story about the time you got lost at Disneyland
- ______________ A web page telling how to create a web page
- ______________ The Harry Potter books
- ______________ A letter to the governor explaining why the tax increase is a bad idea
- ______________ Writing in which you record details of a trip taken
- ______________ An essay discussing a theme from Romeo and Juliet
- ______________ An article attempting to convince readers to boycott a store chain
- ______________ A poem about the sights and sounds of rainfall
- ______________ A paper about the horrible treatment of the people in Darfur
- ______________ The cover story in the morning newspaper
- ______________ A brochure advertising a luxury hotel and resort
- ______________ A paper discussing the after effects of a war